HotTea Mamma Milk's Up Breastfeeding Tea
Milk's Up breastfeeding tea is a herbal blend designed to naturally support mothers while nursing. Because whilst this time with your baby is amazing - it can also be really hard and a cup of tea can be a huge support.
All it's ingredients are 100% natural - fennel, nettle, fenugreek seeds, lemon verbena and anise . These are herbs which have been used for millennia to support nursing, but they also taste delicious. Fennel and fenugreek have the strongest links to increasing milk supply in research, and fenugreek is also linked to having immunity boosting benefits.
Completely caffeine-free blend, these herbs that won't affect your baby's sleep.
We only use whole leaf herbs, to ensure you get the most flavour and biggest benefit from each cup. Our whole leaf, plastic free, biodegradable tea bags are plant based and release fewer tannins into your brew, ensuring it is as refreshing and soothing as possible.
And we couldn't be prouder that this tea is multi-award winning. It won in the 2019 UK Baby Awards - Best Maternity Product, 2020 Project Baby Awards - Best Breastfeeding Support Product.
Gluten free and Vegan friendly
Contains 15 whole leaf, plastic free, biodegradable tea pyramids.
They can be used to make 30 cups of tea or more.
Fennel seeds - small scale studies show fennel can help milk to flow, supporting the long historical use of fennel in this way
Anise - used for millennia as a natural support to milk supply
Nettle leaf - anecdotal evidence for hundreds of years suggests nettle can support milk supply, but no studies exist to confirm this
Fenugreek seeds - shown in some small scale studies to increase milk volume and fat content.
Lemon Verbena - added to the blend for balance
Rosemary - a balance to the sweetness of fennel and anise
Warming, spicy – almost savoury, in a good way
Fenugreek gives this blend a wonderful balance of sweet and bitter notes, with it’s aroma of dark, almost burnt caramel.
Fennel, Anise and Lemon Verbena add to it’s sweetness, with rosemary and nettle giving it a warming, earthy note.
It’s probably the most complex tea in our range, but utterly delicious.
We don’t recommend adding milk or sugar, but follow your cravings and personal taste!
HOW MANY CUPS & HOW TO BREW...
We recommend having 3 cups a day in combination with other techniques, including expressing/feeding as much as possible, having skin to skin, getting as much sleep as possible, eating a nourishing diet. Milk is produced more when there's higher demand so the tea can keep you hydrated while you do this! Then just keep it up - your supply will naturally be higher in the evening/night time, so you can drink it earlier in the day to stay hydrated and support yourself.
1. Use 1 whole leaf tea bag in a 300ml cup
2. Pour freshly boiled water over it
3. Brew for 3-5 minutes, depending on your taste
4. Remove bag from cup, and keep in a small dish (or egg cup!) by your kettle
5. Re-brew your bag, and just leave it in the cup for a little longer
6. Relax and take a moment with your cuppa.
We don’t recommend adding milk, but a drop of honey or lemon can be a good match.
Everyone is different, so your supply will never be exactly like someone elses. But as a general rule, it's good to feed/express regularly through the day and as a result we recommend having this tea in the same way. The perfect partner to any pumping/feeding session, to keep you hydrated and support you through the day.
We recommend limiting yourself to a maximum 3 cups a day, which is within all recommended national guidelines.
WHAT'S INSIDE THE BOX?
- Each box contains 15 whole leaf tea bags.
- They are totally plastic-free, made from cornstarch which is 100% biodegradable. Once you've enjoyed your cuppa, put the bag in your food bin, as they'll take years to decompose on a home compost.
- The inner bag which holds the tea bags is also biodegradable - it's derived from paper! Put this in your food bin too.
- And don't forget to recycle the box! It can biodegrade too, but recycling is the most eco-friendly option.
What's the best way to support your breastfeeding journey?
The only guaranteed way to increase your milk supply when breastfeeding, is to increase the demand for milk by expressing milk, as well as feeding your baby on demand. This is extremely hard work, but it is the only proven way to increase your milk supply. You might feel like a cow, but it's worth it!
However, you can support your body while you do this, with natural foods and drinks.
No one really know why they help, but there is research (on fenugreek, fennel and anise in particular) to show drinking/eating them can help increase the amount of milk and the fat content in the milk you produce. So consider stocking up on...
1. Oats - eat porridge and flapjack.
2. Fenugreek seeds - a key ingredient in our tea. Small scale research links it to improved supply.
3. Fennel, anise, nettle - anecdotal evidence has linked all of these herbs to increasing milk flow. There is no scientific research into them, but the historical usage is extremely long and women swear by them!
Frequently Asked Questions
How many cups should I have a day?
Why have these herbs been used to support milk flow?
Fennel and Fenugreek in particular have been used by breastfeeding women for hundreds of years to increase milk supply. The seeds contain phytoestogens which mimic your female hormone, oestrogen.
Nettle and anise have also been linked to helping breast milk, but the research is more limited here.